A Student Council is a representative structure through which students in the college can become involved in the affairs of the college, working in partnership with the management, staff and students for the benefit of the college and its students.
The role of the Student Council
A Student Council will set its own objectives. Some general objectives could include:
- To enhance communication between students, management and staff.
- To promote an environment conducive to educational and personal development.
- To promote friendship and respect among pupils.
- To support the management and staff in the development of the college.
- To represent the views of the students on matters of general concern to them.
The Student Council and the Management
- The college shall establish and maintain procedures for the purpose of informing about the activities in the college.
- The college shall encourage and help students to set up a Student Council and shall assist a Student Council when established.
- The college shall draw up rules for the establishment of a Student Council which shall provide for the selection of members and the dissolution of a Council.
- The college will have a role in considering the rules governing meetings of the Student Council, and the conduct of its affairs.
- The Management will give active support to the student council. This could involve designating a student advisor in the college to communicate with the Council on an ongoing basis, as well as assisting the Council in drawing up a constitution and in planning and organizing its activities.
The Student Council and the Principal
The role of the Principal is of central importance in the establishment and operation of a Student Council. In assisting the Management in the development of college policy, and in working with teachers and to implement it at day-to-day level, the Principal is centrally placed in all aspects of the college’s operations. In the initial stages, the Principal, together with the other teachers, will assist in the development of a Student Council in several ways, for example, by discussing with students the role of a Student Council and the role of individual representatives on the council, the Principal will assist in guiding the Council’s development, so as to allow for a constructive and purposeful Council. More generally, the Principal can promote a college culture which recognises the potentially valuable input that students can make, through a Student Council, into the development of the college.
The Student Council and Teachers
Developing a spirit of partnership and co-operation between a Student Council and teachers has benefits for both. The Student Council can play an important role in recognizing and supporting the work of teachers. Similarly the interest and support of teachers will be of great value to a Student Council, particularly during the early stages of its development. It is generally desirable for a member of the teaching staff to attend meetings of the Council. The support and guidance offered by a teacher will be very useful to a Council when planning its activities, and providing for a teacher to attend Council meetings will help to build a co-operative and good working relationship between students and staff of the college.
Key functions of Student Council:
The functions and activities of a Student Council should support the aims and objectives of the Council and promote the development of the college and the welfare of its students. In planning and undertaking activities during the course of the college year.
The Council should:
- Work closely with the management, teachers and students,
- Consult regularly with students in the college, and
- Involve as many students as possible in the activities of the Council.
Advisory Committees shall be appointed for the various associations comprising the following members
- Dean Student Affairs
- Student Office Bearers
- Student President
- Student Vice President
The overall function of each Advisory Committee of the various co-curricular programmes such as NSS, Arts and Cultural Associations at the college level is to advise on the various activities of associations based on the immediate and urgent needs of the students and the community.
Dean Student Affairs
- To motivate the student youth to understand the values and philosophy of the association.
- To plan, implement and evaluate the activities of the association under his/her charge and give proper guidance and directions to the student volunteers.
- To supervise the nomination of students to the Students Committee in each association.
- To assist the Principal and the Dean Student Affairs in areas such as student welfare, discipline.
- To uphold the values and ethics in the conduct of the affairs of the association in holding events, inviting resource persons and handling financial transactions, if any, in co-ordination with the Dean Student Affairs and the Principal.
- To encourage and motivate participation by students interested in specific club activities and co-curricular activities.
- To ensure proper maintenance of registers.
- To liaison between students and the Dean Student Affairs.
- To plan, organize and successfully implement events and activities for the year.
- To conduct the Fresher’s Day, Fresher’s Day, Students Association Day, Independence Day and Republic Day.
Student Vice President
- To assist student chairpersons in the activities of the association.
- To record and submit all data related to the activities.
- To maintain and update all registers of the association.
Procedure for Nomination of Student members in Student Bodies
An overall list of students eligible to be nominated for each co-curricular programme and club /association in each department may be drawn by the Heads of Departments. From the list of eligible students, two students from each department interested in a particular activity may be nominated by the faculty, final year students and third year students of each department during class committee meetings to become members of the Executive Committees based on the eligibility criteria given below.
From among the members of the Executive Committees, one Male, one Female student may be nominated by the Principal, and the Executive Committee for each association and Co-curricular activities.
Each department students shall hold the position for a period of one year in a round robin method, thereby giving the opportunity to students of all departments to develop leadership qualities.
All nominated students shall abide by the duties and responsibilities presented above.
STUDENT COUNCIL CORE COMMITEE MEMBERS LIST 2018-19
|14||MD.RIZWAN||IV||CSE||16C31A05B0||CORPORATE -COMMUNICATION INCHARGE|
|19||B. AKHIL||IV||CE||16C31A0114||VOLUNTEER HEAD|
STUDENT COUNCIL CORE COMMITEE MEMBERS LIST 2017-18
|8||MD. JABAIR KHAN||III||ME||15C31A0330||COUNCIL INCHARGE|
STUDENT COUNCIL CORE COMMITEE MEMBERS LIST 2016-17
STUDENT COUNCIL CORE COMMITEE MEMBERS LIST 2015-16
|1||N. SAI SIDDHARTHA||IV||CSE||12C31A0575||PRESIDENT|
|5||A. NAGARAJU||III||CE||13C31A0104||VICE- PRESIDENT|
STUDENT COUNCIL CORE COMMITEE MEMBERS LIST 2014-15
|1||G. RAJ KUMAR||IV||CSE||11C31A0216||PRESIDENT|
|2||K. RAHUL||IV||CSE||11C31A0568||VICE- PRESIDENT|